Image from page 430 of "The street railway review" (1891)
Title: The street railway review
Year: 1891 (1890s)
Authors: American Street Railway Association Street Railway Accountants' Association of America American Railway, Mechanical, and Electrical Association
Publisher: Chicago : Street Railway Review Pub. Co
Contributing Library: Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
Digitizing Sponsor: Lyrasis Members and Sloan Foundation
Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.
Text Appearing Before Image:
stmonth. Max E. Schmidt, secretary of the general committee,announces that informal gatherings will be held in therooms of the Associated Engineering Societies, No. 10Van Buren street, every Monday evening from 8 to 10p. m. Members and their friends are cordially invited tobe present to meet foreign and visiting engineers. TheChicago engineers are specially requested to call at therooms when in the vicinity-, if only for a minute, in orderto inspect the register on file, so as to ascertain which oftheir friends are in the city, and to assist in entertainingthem and foreign engineers. St. Paul is now connected by a new electric line withLake Como which is surrounded by a beautiful park. (^^iHict JaiWa^ li^evlcv/ 405 DEDICATING THE FERRIS WHEEL. THE great and beautiful Ferris Wheel, the construc-tion of which has already been fully described inthese columns, was formally dedicated in the pres-ence of 2,000 invited guests, on June 21. The opening ceremonies were interesting, including a
Text Appearing After Image:
THE FERRIS WHEEL. presentation of Mr. Ferris to the audience, followed bythe inaugural trip, in which every car was tilled, and theentire party were swung out into space. Those who nearly 300 feet obove the ground, is one of surpassingbeauty and loviness with the White City below, the bluewaters of Lake Michigan beyond, and the great citystretching away on the west, until lost in the greenpraries of the distance. THE ANSONIA EXHIBIT. WHEN the visitor arrives at the north end ofthe Electricity Building he begins to appreciate the various little arrangements madefor his comfort by the various supplj houses, and is morethan thankful to give his tired legs a rest from stair-climbing by ascending into the entresol via, the free ele-vator supplied by the Ansonia Electric Company. Arriving thus in the north gallery, he finds a pavilionextending the breadth of the entresol, devoted to Ansoniaand its products. As the pavilion is nearly always sur-rounded by a crowd of visitors, it is needless
Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability - coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.