Widen Your Knowledge Horizon with General Arts and Science Program
Many youths have not decided their majors or are still in the process of defining their career path. If you are interested in the arts and communications and the humanities and social sciences, the General Arts and Science – Arts Program at Centennial College might be the right fit for you. This arts program explores a wide definition of humanities and the arts, spanning a year of studies at the institution’s Ashtonbee campus.
Start strong in a college-level education and gain introduction to a wide array of disciplines. The courses in the curriculum include:
– Principles of Sociology: How people interact and think about each other and life is explored on this introductory course. The course will look back at theories from Karl Marx, Emile Durkheim, and Max Weber – sociology’s three most important historical figures. It will also delve into contemporary perspectives such as the conflict theory and feminism.
– Developmental Psychology: Discover the major psychological theories and research methods in human development, in a biological, psychological and sociocultural standpoint. Students will study human development from its birth to the ending of life in which they will contribute their personal experiences as a point of studies.
– Contemporary Canada: Places, Peoples and Perspectives: This course studies the values, behaviours, customs, and beliefs of a culture — Canada’s development, to be exact. Students will learn about Canada’s history, geography, and political and socio-economic status in history up to today’s society. They will explore the issues and challenges affecting Canadians.
– Math in the Digital Age: While most courses are based on theoretical knowledge, students must develop their numeracy skills as core fundamentals in working at any position or industry. The course splits into classroom and lab hours, where students attend lectures and apply their knowledge in practical applications. Students will gain valuable essential math skills with further exercises in using advanced technology.
– Concepts in Humanities: History, philosophy, poetry, myth, theatre, fine arts, architecture, music and film — these are all concepts in humanities that this course will cover. Students will explore each area from a historical and cultural context, achieving comparisons and analysis of society’s place in the arts.
– Logical Self-Defense: In preparation for meaningful and professional conversations, this course will help steer students to a sense of balance in understanding the art of language and skill of distinguishing good versus bad arguments. It will show students how to conduct themselves in speech with reason and forming justifiable arguments, so they can be learned members of society, free from false and misleading information.
Arts colleges can provide you with relevant broad knowledge on general arts and science concepts. These are also fundamentals in living a successful life and acting as a learned citizen. Students of the General Arts and Science – Arts Program (6700) can obtain higher education and transfer their college credits from this Ontario College Certificate program to specialize in Communication Arts, Child Studies, Community Services, or Hospitality and Tourism Administration. Graduates are ready to take the next steps of their career, entering a partner university or continuing at Centennial College.